[hsflinux] no dial tone

Richard RichardJNZ at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 9 12:21:33 EST 2002

Is it legal to put a gun to your modem and threaten to blow it's chip out if it don't work?  I know it would sure put a smile on my face :0)

I installed Mandrake 9.0, and I am just loving Linux much better than microsoft.  After all the comments on how Linux is too complicated to use, stick with windows, I finally decided to give it a try.

My modem is Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem.  Using the program on he site to get the modem's info I got the following.

PCI Configuration
Vendor ID                14F1
Device ID                 2013
Subvendor ID           155D
Subdevce ID             6793
Revision ID               01

Deduced Information
Vendor Name                 Conexant
Device Name                  HSF Data/Fax
Subvendor Name             Mac or Legend
Modem Type                   HSF
WINXP Inbuild Support     Yes

So I then went and downloaded the HSF driver for the kernel version 2.4.19-16mdk, and installed that.

When I tried to log on to the net the log shows this:

ATZ
OK
ATS11=22
OK
ATM1L1
OK A
TDT087303030

At what point the modem picks up the line, I can hear the dial tone through my computer, but the kppp program says there is no dial tone.  I was told to make it so that it doesn't wait for the dial tone when it dials, this did nothing.  Then I was told to disable the waiting for dial tone, ATX3.  I cannot remember the exact response I get from that, as I am back on windows until I can get some help, but it just sits there saying it is turning off the waiting for dial tone.

Anyone know what else I can try?

Thanks :0)