[hsflinux] Problem : pppd died unexpectedly

manish jain emax at datainfosys.net
Mon Dec 23 21:56:32 EST 2002

I am using RedHatLinux 7.3 and Mandrake Linux 9.0 on an Intel Celeron
800 MHz machine with a Conexant-chipset based soft internal (HSF) 56K
modem. I tried using MBSI's binary as well as tarball drivers for the
modem, but none of them is working out well on either installation.

The installation itself is successful, but whenever I try
to dial-up to the internet, I get the dial-up sound followed shortly
by the message : 'pppd died unexpectedly'.

Interestingly, the MBSI driver used to work very well indeed on my
previous RedHat 7.2 installation with the same hardware setup.

Can anyone please tell me what has to be done to ease the situation ?

Thank you.

Manish Jain

emax at datainfosys.net