[hsflinux] Problem : pppd died unexpectedly

manish jain emax at datainfosys.net
Fri Dec 27 22:05:32 EST 2002

Hi everyone,

I am using RedHatLinux 7.3 and Mandrake Linux 9.0 on an Intel Celeron
800 MHz machine with a Conexant-chipset based soft internal (HSF) 56K
modem. I tried using MBSI's binary as well as tarball drivers for the
modem, but none of them is working out well on either installation.

The installation itself is successful, but whenever I try
to dial-up to the internet, I get the dial-up sound followed shortly
by the message : 'pppd died unexpectedly'.

Interestingly, the MBSI driver used to work very well indeed on my
previous RedHat 7.2 installation with the same hardware setup.

If I remember correctly, I was able to to connect to the internet once on
RedHat 7.3 too, but the driver stopped working when I rebooted.

Can anyone please tell me what has to be done to ease the situation ?

Thank you.

Manish Jain

emax at datainfosys.net