[hsflinux] NO CARRIER with Dell Inspiron 8200 HSF modem

Martin Buck mb-hsflinux at gromit.dyndns.org
Sun Feb 2 18:51:03 EST 2003

I'm trying to use the Conexant softmodem built into a Dell Inspirion 8200
notebook with hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02061800. The notebook is
running Debian 3.0, kernel 2.4.20.

Everything seems to work fine, execpt for the most important step:
Connecting to the other modem. The driver detects the modem, accepts AT
commands on the virtual serial port, detects the dial tone, dials, and I
can hear the connection setup tones from the other modem. But after some
time, my modem hangs up with "NO CARRIER" without having established a
connection.

I tried two different ISPs without success. With the same hardware but
WinXP instead of Linux, the modem works fine, but that's not really an
option. ;-)

The output of "AT#UG" and my /etc/hsf/config are below. If anybody needs
the full output of "hsfconfig -d", just tell me - I found the SNR of its
output to be far too low to justify posting a 320k file to the list. ;-)

Any hints about what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Martin

/etc/hsf/config:
# WARNING: DO NOT EDIT THIS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED FILE DIRECTLY !
# TO PROPERLY CHANGE THE HSF MODEM CONFIGURATION, RUN "hsfconfig"
#
hsfconf_countryName="SWITZERLAND"
hsfconf_countryT35c="A6,00"
hsfconf_vendorId="8086"
hsfconf_deviceId="2486"
hsfconf_infFile="/etc/hsf/inf/linux_intel_smartmc.inf"
hsfconf_firmFile=""

AT#UG
<#UG VERSION=1>
<UNIMODEM VERSION=10>
<CALL SETUP RESULT=Detected Data Answer Tone>
<MULTIMEDIA MODE=Data Only>
<DTE-DCE MODE=Async data>
<V.8 CM octet string="">
<V.8 JM octet string="">
<RX SIG POWER DB=0, TX SIG POWER DB=0, S/N RATIO DB=0>
<NORMALIZED MEAN SQUARED ERROR=0>
<NEAR ECHO LOSS=0>
<FAR ECHO LOSS=0>
<FAR ECHO DELAY=0>
<ROUND TRIP DELAY=0>
<V.34 INFO bit map =0>
<TX MOD=V.17, TX SYMBOL RATE=0, TX CARRIER FREQ=0>
<RX MOD=V.17, RX SYMBOL RATE=0, RX CARRIER FREQ=0>
<TX FIRST DATA RATE=0, RX FIRST DATA RATE=4800>
<CARRIER LOSS=0, RATE RENEG=0>
<RETRAINS REQ=0, RETRAINS DET=0>
<TX FINAL RATE=0, RX FINAL RATE=0>
<PROTOCOL NEGOTIATION=None>
<EC FRAME SIZE=0>
<EC LINK TIMEOUTS=0>
<EC LINK NAKS=0>
<COMPRESSION NEGOTIATION=None>
<COMPRESSION DICTIONARY SIZE=0>
<TX FLOW CONTROL=0>
<RX FLOW CONTROL=0>
<TX CHARS SENT FROM DTE=9>
<RX CHARS SENT TO DTE=1D>
<TX CHARS LOST=0>
<RX CHARS LOST=0>
<TX FRAME COUNT=0>
<RX FRAME COUNT=0>
<TX FRAME ERROR COUNT=0>
<RX FRAME ERROR COUNT=0>
<TERMINATION CAUSE=No common mode>
<LSD Vdd=0, Power Bits=0>
<V8BIS FLEX VERSION=0, V8BIS DSP VERSION=0>
<RATE RENEG REQ=0, RATE RENEG DET=0>
<HIGH PASS FILTER ENABLED=C0>
<ROBBED BIT PATTERN=0>
<DIGITAL PAD DETECTED=0, DIGITAL LOSS ESTIMATE=12C0>
<Cnt1=0, Det1=C0, Res1=0>
<EQM=0, TRAINING EQM SUM=0>
<DIB ERROR COUNTERS=0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0>
<RETRAIN/HDLC RESET=0>

OK