[hsflinux] Re: Desknote laptop

jpaul jpaulb at web.de
Sun Mar 2 15:14:07 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:11:29 +0100, Marc Boucher wrote:

> Hi Paul, Tony,
>
> Actually 10b9:5457 is the ALI MC97 controller, which we
> do support with Conexant HSF AC97 modem chips. However
> you might also have a modem device from another vendor
> connected to the ALI controller (this information is
> in the current README).
>
> So you should give the driver a try. If your actual AC97 modem
> chip isn't supported, a message will appear in the kernel log.

Hi

Took a little while to get back:

I installed the latest hsf drivers.

here is a copy of the error messages I received from modem startup
********************
Starting connection. (2003-03-02 14:06:29 CET)
pppd: Plugin passwordfd.so loaded.
pppd: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.42
pppd: --> Initializing modem.
pppd: --> Sending: ATZ
pppd: --> Sending: ATQ0
pppd: --> Re-Sending: ATZ
pppd: --> Modem not responding.
pppd: Connect script failed
pppd died: Connect script failed (exit code 8)
*************************
and

modprobe hsfserial
dmesg
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:08.0
HSF: ERROR: SILICON Laboratories or LUCENT AC97 modem detected!
HSF: ERROR: This driver only supports CONEXANT devices
HSF: ERROR: No CONEXANT modem found
hsf_request_port: open failed

Is this info any help?

Paul