[hsflinux] hp ze4230

Josh Cheney drummerboy195 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 23 02:28:27 EST 2003

I have having a great deal of diffuculty in getting my laptop to recognize
the fact that it has a modem. the lspci -v command lists it as a modem, acer
labs, m5457. i am using mandrake 9.0, and have tried every applicable
version of the drivers under several custom and the stock kernel. i have
tried turning off the devfsd, and when i do that and then reload the
modules, the /dev/ttySHSF0 finally appears, with the link at /dev/modem.
however, when i try to access it with kppp, sit comes back as modem busy,
even as root. after loading the modules and running dmesg, i get something
to effect of that the modem is assigned irq 10, and that it cant find the
hardware. someone out there has had a similar problem, and fixed it by
disabling pnp in the bios: guess what. no option for me to do that in my
bios. so am i just screwed all around, or is there something i am missing?
josh cheney
drummerboy195 at hotmail.com