[hsflinux] mgetty / hsfi woes

Keith Brown keith.brown at kistlermorse.com
Thu Apr 3 13:47:54 EST 2003

Hi all -

I have a bit of a problem with mgetty and the HSFi driver.  Any ideas and
help would be greatly appreciated.

First off, here's a little background on my application:
I have a small machine that I tote around in the field to tune up weight
scale systems (i.e. flour silos, 1 M lb silos, etc).  Most often I'll need
to leave it connected to an indicator for a few days to do some data
logging.  I then have to tromp out to the field, pick up the unit and run
back to the office analyze the data.  I then run back out to the field, much
some indicator adjustments and data logging adjustments.  Usually any form
of Ethernet is unavailable.  There is usually a phone line that I can get at
though.  So, I am trying to install an internal PCI CNet modem to keep my
box small and as compact as possible so I don't have to run out to the field
quite so often.  I typically like to run it headless so I don't have to
worry about keyboards and monitors.  And so my trouble begins....

My trouble:
I get into this situation in which I have dialed into the machine and am
happily doing whatever (edit a file, run a command, compile a program, etc)
when the console will just stop responding.  Waiting does nothing.  Pressing
keys does nothing.  It appears to just hang.  I can still get into the
machine via the standard tty(s) or the serial port (ttyS0).  Using lsmod, I
can see all 4 modules still loaded.  Using ps aux, I can see that what ever
I was working on is still running along with the bash that loaded when
mgetty answered the phone.  I can kill these without a problem.  I check to
see that the lock file is gone, which it is.  If I try to call again, the
modem will not pick up even though I can see mgetty running.

I have also run into a problem in which if the modem does not connect
properly(i.e. some dumb-fool telemarketer called the modem), the modem will
hang with a loud handshaking tone.  It never recovers.

What I have read:
I have read quite a lot of the news group.  Two things that stick in my mind
are perhaps a problem with the mgetty.conf file or something that I read
about needing the ACPI kernel support turned on.  Does either of those make
any sense?  I do not currently run any ACPI.  Is it really necessary?

About my system:
I'm running Debian Woody 3.0 with a 2.4.18 custom compiled kernel.  I have
the HFS modem driver version 5.03.27.  It compiled without incident.  The
config ran slow but completed without incident.

My inittab has the following lines for S0 and modem:
	T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
	T1:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x9 -D -s 115200 modem
/dev/ has modem -> ttySHSF0
My mgetty file only has the following lines
	port ttySHSF0
	  data-only y
	  init-chat "" ATZ OK AT&FM0E1Q0S0=0 OK
Modem is a CNet cn5614RV, HFSi chip set