[hsflinux] HSF module load errors

jcreamer at att.net jcreamer at att.net
Thu May 29 04:00:12 EDT 2003

HSF Linux Modem folks....

Like some of you, I am having problems getting the HSF modem modules to load
properly since I upgraded my RH8 2.4.18-27.8 to RH8 2.4.20-13.8 kernel.  It
compiles normally (without errors) but when I run hsfconfig,  everything works
ok until this section:

Re-compiling HSF modules for kernel 2.4.20-13.8smp, using source directory
/lib/modules/2.4.20-13.8smp/build. Please wait..
Re-compilation and installation of HSF modules succeeded.
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-13.8smp/misc/hsfosspec.o
depmod:         flush_signals
depmod:         del_timer_sync
depmod:         filp_open
depmod:         __wake_up
depmod:         kernel_flag_cacheline
depmod:         __global_cli
depmod:         complete
depmod:         remove_wait_queue
depmod:         filp_close
depmod:         tqueue_lock
depmod:         __global_save_flags
depmod:         wait_for_completion
depmod:         add_wait_queue
depmod:         __global_restore_flags
depmod:         complete_and_exit
depmod:         irq_stat
depmod:         default_llseek
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-13.8smp/misc/hsfserial.o
depmod:         proc_root_driver
depmod:         __wake_up
depmod:         tty_unregister_driver
depmod:         tty_register_driver
depmod:         __global_cli
depmod:         create_proc_entry
depmod:         tty_get_baud_rate
depmod:         remove_wait_queue
depmod:         tty_register_devfs
depmod:         proc_mkdir
depmod:         interruptible_sleep_on
depmod:         __global_save_flags
depmod:         remove_proc_entry
depmod:         tty_flip_buffer_push
depmod:         tty_hangup
depmod:         add_wait_queue
depmod:         __global_restore_flags
depmod:         tty_hung_up_p
depmod:         tty_wait_until_sent

Your HSF modem should now be accessible as /dev/ttySHSF0
or through the symbolic link /dev/modem.

-------------
Unfortunately, the last statement is NOT true... the modules never load    due
to the above errors. modep doesn't work either. This really sucks since
previously installing the 0427 (generic) beta version of linux hsf moden went
without a hitch (with RH8 2.4.18-27.9) my Connexant type modem card worked
almost flawlessly and I was also anxiously awaiting HSF V.92 and FAX support
from Marc.

	After my kernel upgrade, I discovered that my ppp connection not only didn't
work when activated, but it trashed my entire network setup and forced me to
reboot. I then deleted the ppp network entry, issued the hsfstop command,
uninstalled the hsflinmodem (rpm -e) all without significant problems and then
tried to install all three version of the generic beta software (due to my SMP
type loaded kernel).One at a time (removing intervening actions). All compiles
work, loading the module give the same (above) errors.

	FYI... I have a similar problem with re-installing the previously working
dazuko module (for AntiVir). The dazuko development folks seem to indicate a
significant kernel architecture change beginning with 2.4.20.x and higher which
is forcing dazuko folks to work on patches since even compiling their module
along with the kernel (a previous RH9 hack) doesn't really work now either.

Any suggestions? Ideas? (other than don't use an HSF modem...)

Jeff Creamer
Duluth GA