[hsflinux] Problem with my HSF modem

Sekhar sekhar_lk at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 16:41:52 EDT 2003

Dear Friends,

I have an AMD K6 based machine with VIA mother board, 256 MB Ram, 20 GB hardisk, Mercury (SIS Chipset based) VGA card, Creative Sound Blaster Card and a Conexant PCI Modem (Internal). The system works on RH8 and has the kernel 2..18-14 i586.

I downloaded the appropriate rpm package for the Modem from Linuxant site.The system detected my modem's Vendor Id as 127a and device Id as 2015. I used the command 'lspci -n' Following is the Information that is available regarding my Modem in the Device Information Menu of KDE Desktop:

00.0a.o Communications Controller: Rockwell International HSF 56K Data/Fax/Voice/SpKp (w/handset) Modem (Rev 01)
Subsystem: Rockwell International HSF 56K Data/Fax/Voice/SpKp (w/handset) Modem
Memory at e6800000 (32 bit, non perfetchable) [Size 64K]
I/O ports at e800 [Size = 8]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management Version 2.

I updated my machine with the rpm package as illustrated in the help part for HSF modem. And tried out the KPPP way and also the WVDial way, but nothing seems working. In the help of WVDIAL.RPM it is told that there will be a 'wvdial.conf' in '/etc/' I dont see it there. I have something else in /etc/bin with the name 'wvdial' and 'wvdialconf'. At the terminal when I ran wvdialconf certain messages appeared and the system started searching for the modem, but failed in doing so. The result was 'modem was not detected'.

Please help me

Sekhar