[hsflinux] System crashes only while surfing on the net with HSFmodem drivers

Thomas White taw27 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 20:47:49 EDT 2003

Pierre <ilpazzo at caramail.com> wrote:

> sometimes, my system crashes completely
> (impossible to change console or to type something, pushing the reset
> button is the only solution) when I am connected to the internet using
> the drivers.

I get similar lockups on my machine with the
hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700 driver.  Downgrading to
hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02110301 fixes the problem for me, but the
older driver has problems with uploading large amounts of data.

The lockups seem to happen only at connect/disconnect time for me.  The
only clue is in the syslog:  "kernel: PPPIOCDETACH file->f_count=3" -
but whether or not this appears seems not to have any bearing on whether
the machine actually locks up or not - although it only happens with the
new driver as far as I can see.

Kernel 2.4.19 + ACPI, Debian Woody.  1106:3068 (linux_via_smartmc)

Tom

--

Thomas White
Downing College

GPG: D8834197
9749 7C8A 037D F867 9F38 F7C0 2314 8F97 D883 4197