[hsflinux] Knoppix/Debian and 2.4.22 , it worked then stopped

Abit BPVI bp6hell at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 16:26:14 EDT 2003

I installed Knoppix/Debian on my HP4325 laptop and
upgraded the kernel to 2.4.22 for ACPI to work .
Everything is fine except for the internal modem which
is a Conexant ALi M5457 AC-Link modem.

I downloaded and installed the tar file from linuxant
and it went in with no problems. I used the modem for
about 3 hours and it worked fine yesterday. Today I
tried to use it again but it wouldn't work.

I did lsmod and the hsf modules had not loaded on
boot. I used modprobe and they loaded but the modem
still reported as "busy." I did a dmesg and it reports
an error with HSF and that no modem is present.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and I still
have the same problems.

Any idea why it would work fine at first and now
cannot even find the modem? Any ideas as to how I can
fix this. Thanks for your help.