[hsflinux] What about FREE Sortware and people colaboration!?!?

Marc Boucher marc at linuxant.com
Tue Sep 9 11:05:24 EDT 2003

Maybe I should clarify a few things to reduce the confusion:

1) Linuxant isn't Conexant. Conexant is a semiconductor company
producing the modem chipsets, primarily for use with Windows.
Linuxant is an independent company trying to make this technology
available to Linux users.

2) None of the money you paid to buy your low-cost modem went to Linuxant.
Instead, most of it went to:

	- Your retailer / store / mail-order company and distributors
	- Your computer / modem manufacturer

3) Only a very small portion (around or less than $5 these days) went to
Conexant (not Linuxant!) for producing the hardware chipset. But since
these are sold in very large quantities for the Windows market, Conexant can pay
developers in-house to write the required software for Windows.

4) Linuxant is a distinct company, not owned by Conexant. And since
Linuxant doesn't sell any hardware, it depends on contributions from
users to develop for Linux. This development cannot be done by the
open-source community because a significant portion of the
drivers is proprietary (patented) technology which we had to license
from Conexant, and it requires a NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) which
most open-source developers are not willing or able to sign.

5) Also, softmodem drivers are actually much more than just drivers.
In fact, they contain most of the modem's functionality (if you have installed
them under linux, run "lsmod" to see how large in size - hsfengine is around 1 meg-
they are compared to other linux modules. It costs a lot of effort and
money to develop that, which is why we cannot make it completely free.

Hope this helps to understand,

Marc