[hsflinux] 2.6 kernel

Chris Vine chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 22:27:21 EDT 2003

On Monday 20 October 2003 4:30 pm, Gregory Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 19:21, Chris Vine wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The Linuxant web page states that the HSF modem driver has "Linux 2.6
> > kernel compatibility".
> >
> > The free version doesn't in fact compile with any recent versions of
> > 2.6-test.
> >
> > Is this also true of the pay-for version, and if so are users expected to
> > pay for a new driver when the 2.6 kernel is released, or do upgrades come
> > free?
> >
> > What is the upgrade policy more generally?
> >
> > Chris.
>
> I am experiencing the same problem as Chris. I have been using the
> 2.6-test-mm kernels and have not been able to compile the free version.
> So this information would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, you can compile it by commenting out the offending line in
modules/osservices.c (line 425), comprising:

  current->pgrp = 1;

The kernel struct task_struct no longer has a member pgrp.  It has a private
member __prgp, but it seems that that is only supposed to be accessed by the
method:

static inline pid_t process_group(struct task_struct*)

declared in linux/include/linux/sched.h.  As that obtains __pgrp by value and
not by reference (it is effectively read only) I assume therefore that the OS
will control its value (but I cannot say for sure).  Anyway, commenting out
the line mentioned above appears to work with the free version of the HSF
driver, and I would be interested if it works in the paid-for one if you are
using it.  I am even more interested in the upgrade policy as I haven't yet
bought the driver, and I won't do so unless I know it works correctly.

I have not tried to see if the driver works with the mm patches.  It may or
may not.  That is one of the several problems with binary only drivers.

Chris.