[hsflinux] my modem played "pick-a-boo" too

Diego Matessi dmatessi at nuremberg.ma.ic.ac.uk
Sun Nov 9 18:38:55 EST 2003

Hello
I have a Conexant D480 MDC V.92 modem,
Vendor ID 8086, device ID: 2486
on an Del Inspiron 4150. I use Red Hat 8.0 with
kernel 2.4.18-14, i686.

I downloaded the free rpm package
hsfmodem-6.03.00lnxt03091800free_k2.4.18_14-1rh.i686.

Installation went smooth and the modem worked....
but just once! As I shut down the system and restarted
the modem wouldn't work anymore.

I know someone else in the list had the same problem.
It helped to read those emails.

I now solved the problem, but before I buy the full package
I want to make sure I'm doing things right, I'm
new to LInux.

I figured that, on rebooting, my system was not rewriting the
file modules.dep (from which the network device learns which
modules to load first). This file can be written with the
comand depmod -a.

So I added the line /sbin/depmod -a to the rc-file /etc/rc.d/rc.local,
and now the modem works all the time.

Did I do it right or is there a better way?

But I noticed that not all the hsf modules that come with the
package load. Is that normal? Am I loosing on some features
by not having all of them loaded (the ones it DOES NOT load
are hsfmc97ali.o, hsfmc97via.o and hsfpcibasic2.o)?

thank you,

Diego