[hsflinux] Problems with connections, ALi AC-Link modem

Bill Gribble grib at billgribble.com
Tue Dec 2 15:18:18 EST 2003

I'm using the 6.03.00lnxt03112100full driver with the internal modem in
my HP ze5385us, which is an ALi AC-Link (PCI 10b9:5457).  I have
installed the driver from the Debian source package on a 2.6.0-test11
kernel.

I can connect without much trouble to fast modern modems on good
connections, but not to older cruftier modems.  For example, I can get a
56k connection to my local ISP, but when I dial in to a work modem
across the state I get a V22 connection (1200 baud) that hangs up almost
immediately, and spews garbage.  OTOH, my junky old v32 PCMCIA modem
connects just fine to that modem and gets error correction.

Any idea what could be going on here, or what I can do about it?  I'd
like to use the internal modem if it's possible.

Also, I'd like to be able to hear the modem connection, but I can't make
heads or tails of the supplied "hsfdpc" script.  It looks for a
/dev/hfsdcp that doesn't exist.  What's that device supposed to be, and
who's supposed to create it?

Thanks for any help.

Bill Gribble