[hsflinux] problem with Data transfer rate and connecting

Paul Rolland rol at as2917.net
Sun Dec 7 11:12:26 EST 2003

Hello Taran,

It is not really easy to help you, as it seems there is some confusion
between two differents things :
 - hslflinux is responsible for getting your modem to work, and connect,
   and from your mail, it seems that it succeeds perfectly,
 - pppd is responsible for the IP stuff, such as getting the IP addresses
   (the one for your machine, the one of the gateway), and the IP
   addresses of the DNS of your provider should be part of the pppd
   stuff.

To help, pppd should be started with some options that are probably
mandatory :
 - defaultroute : this will tell pppd to install a default route to
   send all the IP packets thru the newly established connection,
 - usepeerdns : this will tell pppd to negotiate DNS address with the
   provider.

So, have a look at your /etc/ppp/options file.
You should have something that should include :

ttyHSF0
115200
crtscts
modem
lock
user "your_username"
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat'
noauth
defaultroute
asyncmap 0
usepeerdns