[hsflinux] "Pick-a-boo" modem? Matessi's solution works also for ML9.1!

Diabolus diabolus at inwind.it
Sat Dec 20 16:37:01 EST 2003

I have a GVC Co.'s Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Speakerphone modem
factory-installed dy Dell on my Dimension 8200 running Mandrake Linux 9.1.

I've been suffering for a long while from the infamous "pick-a-boo" problem
with the full-flavor (= $$$) HSF driver I bought at the end of September
2003, to the point of making me even regret to have payed for it and (sorry,
but I have to say it) get very angry for the *very poor* support offered in
the FAQ (something like "we know it happens, seek for causes in your
configuration").
Finally, browsing few days ago the mailing list, I found some hints in the
message from Diego Matessi ofNov 9, 2003 and replied to by Linuxant Support
on Nov 25: it seemed too simple to be true and effective, but... IT WORKS!!!

So, my recommendation to Mandrake Linux 9.1 users suffering for a Linuxant
driver playing "pick-a-boo" is to give a try to the Matessi/Linuxant Support
solution, which I repeat here:

- add the line /sbin/depmod -A at the end of the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

A final note of disappointment: I expected Linuxant to give more evidence to
this solution to a problem encountered often enough to deserve a mention in
the FAQ.

Regards,
Eugenio
diabolus (at) inwind.it