[hsflinux] SMP NOT SUPPORTED MESSAGE----

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

1: hsflinux-announce at lists.mbsi.ca is the wrong list. You should be on
hsflinux at lists.mbsi.ca

2: So am I. 700EA.

> mandrake 8.1
> kernel 2.2.19-19mdksecure
>
>     *  built in 10/100 ethernet
>       (RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet ... Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C');
>     * built in (win) modem
>       (PCI 0x14f1:2f00 (CONEXANT; HSF 56k HSFi Modem));
>     * built in sound
>       (PCI 0x1106:3058 (VIA Technologies Inc; Audio Codec 97));

There's good news and bad news, first the good news:

Everything *can* work on your 700EA notebook. Super video, Ethernet,
sound, ACPI power control (the latter is tremendously important, 'cos
your processor will be running far too hot and will give up the ghost
soon and Compaq will simply thumb her nose at you, 'cos you should be
running XP, under which it works);

Best of all, the Connexant modem will work, also for you.

Now the bad news.

You'll have to compile a custom kernel, 2.4.18 with ACPI power control
support and the latest ACPI and KACPID patches. You *should* be running
XFree86 4.2.0 to get the best out of your S3 Pro Savage4 video.

Maybe you actually mean that you're running kernel 2.4.19; if it really
is 2.2, you're hopelessly out of date. Various things don't work yet on
kernel 2.4.19, such as iptables as it is.

I run Red Hat 7.2 with all of the above as self-compiled extra options,
but there's no reason why you shouldn't stick to Mandrake.

You should install dual boot with minimum Windows ME, 'cos the ACPI BIOS
needs priming from Windows at the moment and a warm start to Linux to
work properly.

Here are some useful web sites to help you in your configuration:

http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~berensch/compaq.html
http://www.cs.mun.ca/~michael/compaq-710.html
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/presario/

Get all that working, and you'll find that Marc Boucher's Conexant HSFi
driver will install and work for you.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:		tonni at billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:	http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981