[hsflinux] my modem just segmentations fault when I attempt to open the device...

Jeff Wiegley, Ph.D. jeff at cyte.com
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

I've got a Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop and it has an Actiontec
MD56ORD internal modem.  I think its a Conexant HSF based
device and I'ld love to get it working. (So would all the
other Inspiron owners I'm sure).

I had to make the latest driver from the tarball and that
seemed to go okay.

my modem information is:

lspci -v
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem (rev 01) (prog-if 00
[Generic])
	Subsystem: Conexant: Unknown device 5421
	I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
	I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]

lspci -vn
00:1f.6 Class 0703: 8086:2486 (rev 01)
	Subsystem: 14f1:5421
	I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
	I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]

running hsfconfig -a gets me:
[root at localhost root]# hsfconfig -a
Linux HSF softmodem drivers, version 5.03.03.L2mbsibeta02052600

WARNING: this is an EXPERIMENTAL BETA VERSION of the HSF drivers for
Linux.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! See the file /usr/lib/hsf/LICENSE for details.

Conexant Systems neither distributes nor maintains this package.
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT CONEXANT REGARDING THIS SOFTWARE!!!
If you require assistance or need more information, go to:
              http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv

Selected PCI VendorID=8086 DeviceID=2486
and INF file /etc/hsf/inf/linux_intel_smartmc.inf

Configuring modem for country: "USA"
You can change this setting later with the command "hsfconfig --country"

Warning: existing HSF modules found under /lib/modules/2.4.19-pre8/misc/

This package does not contain pre-built modules suitable for your
system:
	Kernel arch: i686
	Kernel version: linux-2.4.19-pre8

Trying to automatically re-compile the modules..
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

Re-compiling HSF modules for kernel 2.4.19-pre8, using source directory
/lib/modules/2.4.19-pre8/build. Please wait..
Re-compilation and installation of HSF modules succeeded.

Your HSF modem should now be accessible as /dev/ttySHSF0

The device seems to exist but any attempt to use it generates a seg.
fault:
[root at localhost root]# ls -al /dev/ttySHSF0
crw-------    1 root     root     240,  64 Dec 31  1969 /dev/ttySHSF0
[root at localhost root]# cat /dev/ttySHSF0
Segmentation fault

Any ideas on what I should do to troubleshoot this or help get it
supported?

Thanks,

Jeff Wiegley