[hsflinux] my modem just segmentations fault when I attempt to open the device...

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

tor, 2002-05-30 kl. 00:31 skrev Jeff Wiegley, Ph.D.:

> I've got a Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop and it has an Actiontec
> MD56ORD internal modem.  I think its a Conexant HSF based
> device and I'ld love to get it working. (So would all the
> other Inspiron owners I'm sure).

I have a different notebook, Compaq Presario 700EA with RH 7.2, kernel
2.4.18. HSFi modem, everything works - otherwise you wouldn't be reading
this.

Offhand I can think of 3 possibilities for your problem, but I'm not the
expert here.

>	Subsystem: Conexant: Unknown device 5421
> 	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
> 	I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
> 	I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]

1: IRQ 11 isn't normal for a modem, but can be negotiated automatically
when the modules are loaded. Modems should use COM port / tty IRQs,
generally 4 and 3. My machine suggests IRQ 11 for card bus and Ethernet.

> [root at localhost root]# ls -al /dev/ttySHSF0
> crw-------    1 root     root     240,  64 Dec 31  1969 /dev/ttySHSF0

2: The permissions are wrong. Don't know why they should be, hsfconfig
should have set them to 644. You can safely do this by hand, as root.

3: I don't like pre-release kernels. Is there any special reason why you
are running 2.4.19? For example, latest iptables patches demand this,
but if you don't have to run 2.4.19, get the 2.4.18 source from
kernel.org (*NOT* Red Hat) and compile and install that (with its own
kernel modules, and compile the HSF modules against its source code and
libraries). You can safely boot on either kernel if you modify lilo.conf
or the grub thing properly, so you're not sacrificing anything. I doubt
whether Marc has used 2.4.19 for any of his drivers.

Lastly, 2 things:

- Your Dell doesn't seem to support ACPI power control, which is a pity;
- I've compiled my different kernels with both gcc 2.96 (Red Hat
bastardization) and 3.04 and both work fine. I've also compiled the HSF
modules with 2.96 and 3.04, and both work fine. However, the latest
GNUPG will not compile properly with gcc 3.04, so your gcc version just
could have some influence on the whole.

Hope this helps,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:		tonni at billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:	http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981