[hsflinux] pci modem

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

man, 2002-06-03 kl. 08:14 skrev Raunak Singh Ahluwalia:

> MODEM #1:
>   PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
>      VENDOR ID              : 127A
>      DEVICE ID              : 2014
>      SUBVENDOR ID           : 122D
>      SUBDEVICE ID           : 4050
>      REVISION ID            : 01
>
>   DEDUCED INFORMATION:
>      VENDOR NAME            : ROCKWEL
>      DEVICE NAME            : HSF DATA/FAX/TAM
>      SUBVENDOR NAME         : AZTECH -- HTTP://WWW.AZTECH.COM OR
>  PACKARD BELL :HTTP://WWW.PACKARDBELL.COM
>      MODEM TYPE             : HSF
>      WINXP INBUILD SUPPORT  : YES

> the red hat versions 7.0, the kernels 2.2.16.22

Hi Raunak,

Have to say that I'm not the expert here. If you look through the
listmodem.sh script, you'll see it's found a Conexant modem, device ID
2014. But at the same time it's telling you to go to Aztech or Packard
Bell.

Packard Bell is a useless site - I went to have a look for you. Aztech
seems to have a Linux driver for one single product that it calls
AMR/CNR - I wouldn't know if that's what you have.

I don't know about the Olitech driver. I tried at the very start of this
business and it didn't help me with my Compaq.

It may well be that you get a better result if you try to compile one of
the generic drivers from the MBSI site. I don't know how much experience
you have with kernels or compiling, or even if you have the kernel
source code on your machine you have to, to be able to compile the MBSI
driver). If you know enough about it all to have a try, then do that.

If I were you, or you were me, I'd want to reinstall Linux to the latest
version. My opinion is that RH 7.0 and the associated 2.2 kernel is very
out of date and many things (not necessarily the modem, though) work
with 2.4 kernel versions that didn't work with 2.2 - I'm specially
thinking about iptables and the advanced ACPI power control - which your
Pavilion may or may not have on board.

Afraid I'll have to leave it at that. Maybe someone else can pick it up.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:		tonni at billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:	http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981