[hsflinux] Re: New hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L2mbsibeta02060100 Fails

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

ons, 2002-06-12 kl. 09:09 skrev Sérgio Monteiro Basto:

> What you have here is is one kernel dump, I had the same problem with my
> laptop
> first you have this problem only with this drive?

> so to resolve this problem I upgradeed the kernel for 2.4.18 and turn
> off ACPI (this in my case ) because we found that pressarios laptops
> with via686b have some problems with this ACPI see:
> http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/presario/ (Core system)

This is just not so, I'm afraid. If you were to look back in this
mailing list archive, you'd see that I have a Presario 700EA with a VIA
686 bridge and everything works. I'm using it to type and send this
using the Conexant modem! And with fully patched ACPI; without the
latter, this notebook would have burned up long ago.

*Nowhere* on that web site is it said that the 700 Presarios have
trouble with ACPI, quite the reverse, in fact - if the correct kernel
and KACPID daemon patches are applied. In fact, what is said, is that
ACPI is *necessary*!

I've previously given the advice to others on this list to compile the
kernel.org 2.4.18 source, with the ACPI patches. I use cgg 3.04 for
this, but 2.95/2.96 work as well.

Marc's HSF driver patches *must* be compiled with the same version of
gcc as the kernel.

What's probably happening on your machine, is that you've installed a
distro 2.4.18 kernel and then compiled the driver with a different gcc
version. That's pure guesswork on my side, since you say nothing about
anything.

In addition, take a look at the following site:

http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~berensch/compaq.html

I fear you're trying to get the information that you =want= to get from
these sites, not reading what is actually written there.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:		tonni at billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:	http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981