[hsflinux] hsfmodem

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

fre, 2002-08-23 kl. 04:35 skrev özgür uncuoğlu:

> Hi!I have SUSE 7.1 (version2.4.0-4GB kernel)
> I tried to install a lot of HSFLinmodem driver but they don't work.Then I have a few questions to ask you

özgür,

> 1.I know meanings of kernel version numbers, but what does "4GB" mean???

! don't have Suse and have never used it, but a 5-minute search on the
Internet returned that this is a kernel from around mid 2001 that gave
streams problems and caused a lot of failures with streams related
matters. You could say that streams is a way of passing information from
hardware drivers to the kernel.

4GB means that the kernel will support maximum 4GB RAM.

The general consensus is, that this is a very old kernel and one that
gave a lot of problems - you should download and install the newest.

Since Suse Linux 7.1 there's been 7.3 and 8.0.

> 2.Where Can I find a driver for my modem.if it exists (modem-->127A:2015 conexant 56k pci)

Your hardware combination is supported by the standard HSF linux
drivers, according to the documentation.

Tip! go to http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/hsf/archive/?M=D and download
one of the hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02062500 drivers - src.rpm or
.tar.gz and compile and install this particular one.

For the latest driver:

Go to http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/hsf/downloads-license.html to
download either Binary or source rpms - you can also download a tar.gz
version and compile and install yourself.

You'll find docs on the download page. You'll get complete instructions
for what you have to do during the installation. The modules will be
automatically installed for you.

> Note:
> When I try to install a hsflinmodem*.* it says like "this package does not contain pre-built modules for your system"
> after that It also says "Installation is succesfully completed".Really all steps of installation seems correct according to help files.

Use the srpm or the tar.gz and compile either one of these.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

The usefulness of RTFM is vastly overrated.

e-post:		tonni at billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:	http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981