[hsflinux] hsf modem on Dell Inspiron 2650

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

tir, 2002-08-27 kl. 11:57 skrev Yehudi Levine:

> I am running mandrake 8.2 on a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop supposedly
> equipped with a Actiontec MD56ORD V.92 MDC modem. It was identified as
> an HSF modem under WindowsXP, though it seems to be an unknown
> quantity under mandrake Linux.

I don't want to seem querulous, but an awful lot of people here since
the beginning of May last have announced that they have Inspirons
(mostly if not all 8xxx) series with MD56ORD modems. As for my Compaq,
Presario notebook neither does it have a serial port or guts (the modem
is from VIA). Most of the Dell modems work under Linux now, with HSF
drivers, as does my Compaq.

Could it be that your Mandrake things need some adjustment? See the
wealth of postings admitting to kernel incompatibility.

However, you're right in as much as the production of a standard driver
for a wealth of distros, kernels and hardware configurations doesn't yet
seem to be an exact science.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

The usefulness of RTFM is vastly overrated.

e-post:		tonni at billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:	http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981