[hsflinux] HSF worked originally but have ceased to function

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

tor, 2002-10-03 kl. 05:55 skrev valedaemon at att.net:

> Then the other day I installed LM 9.0 Final and again installed the hsf
> drivers. The first time I used it, everything again worked beautifully. Then I
> rebooted into Windows XP, connected from there, and a day later rebooted back
> into Linux. I tried to connect... and I received the error from KPPP "Sorry,
> the modem doesn't respond." I can hear the modem open the port and then
> immediately cut it off.

Kernel version? hsf driver version? rpm, srpm or .tar.gz?

> I've ran "modprobe hsfserial", and I receive,
> "Hsfserial loaded, but with warnings: Module can taint kernel: non-GPL'ed
> license." (Abbreviated)

Simply because the kernel is released under the GPL license and the hsf
driver isn't. Therefore the hsf driver is "tainted", smells. It's a
racist announcement from Linux and doesn't mean anything serious.

> Lsmod produces no kernel errors that I can see.

> Is this an irq issue?

No.

> Or another problem I am not comprehending?

Probably. Do 'hsfstop', run 'hsfconfig' again with '--nvram' after it on
the command line and see what happens; then 'modprobe hsfserial'.

> Between the
> successful connection and the unsuccessful ones, I had not changed anything
> with my Linux box. I have also attempted reinstalls of the hsf rpm with no
> success.

It was probably a judgement for daring to boot Windows. Never do that
again :->

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

"There are many people who can't face the truth ... If you rob a
normal person of life's lies, at the same time you'll be robbing
him of his happiness."

e-post:		tonni at billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:	http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981