[hsflinux] pppd help

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

ons, 2002-10-16 kl. 20:15 skrev Sonny Diaz:
> i'm runnin slack 8.1 with 2.4.18. I'm using the intel based hsf modem. It actually dials out and i can ping some nameservers on my isp, like the ones in my etc/resolv.conf. However, i can't access websites/ftp nor ping anyother ips. I'm using slack's pppd setup with PAP, which i heard is the method my isp uses. I'm wondering if my problem is wether my etc/resolv.conf is wrong or could it be that my isp doesn't use PAP. I also tried it with CHAP, because i read my isp is also chap compatible, and i also  connected and couldnt access other websites. BTW my isp is uu.net. I also made sure ppp0 was the default route, by typing route -n.

What lousy mail client are you using?

It isn't ppp0 that's supposed to be the gateway, it's the node it's
connected to by ppp, at the other end that's supposed to be the gateway.

You shouldn't be able to see ppp0 with root -n (netstat -rn), you should
be able to see it with ifconfig/ifconfig -a..

It doesn't make a halfpenny worth of difference whether your protocol is
CHAP or PAP _ as long as you can ping something on the other side, your
modem is working. Now fix your gateway

> I am using lynx to test out if i can see websites. I also wanted to test out my connection under x, but somehow i dont have any applications on my desktop environment which is enlightment. I guess i must have messed up my kernel configuration. I'm probly going to try to find out how to make KDE my desktop environment and try it from there next. T!
> hanks

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

"There are many people who can't face the truth ... If you rob a
normal person of life's lies, at the same time you'll be robbing
him of his happiness."

e-post:		tonni at billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl