[hsflinux] CONEXANT 127A: 4311 taint the kernel errors

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

søn, 2002-10-27 kl. 12:09 skrev Bruno Miranda:

> I logged in to the root as and administrator but I still receive the
> tainted error message.

Must say I don't quite understand this posting. We all get the "tainted
error message", since the HSF modules are not GPL licensed. It doesn't
mean anything in practice.

> I have  RedHat Linux 8.0 on a Hp 8650C would love
> to get my modem working as having Linux with no internet is not a viable
> option for me I am really new to Linux. I installed it to learn more
> about it but the Modem is really killing me. If some kind person could
> please help resolve this problem I would be most thankful to him.

Linux is more than worth the trouble if you're going to do anything with
computers professionally/seriously. Apart from anything else, it's an
easy stepping stone to "heavy" stuff like Solaris (especially), HPUX
and  AIX. It's used as one of the possible OS for really advanced
hadware, such as IBM's S/390, Z and X series mainframes, with sh*t like
virtual processors, OS domains and more.

So, keep at it. Maybe you can't edit your home videos at the moment, but
the pace at which all that is becoming possible is like Discovery
accelerating into orbit.

> [bjdesa at localhost bjdesa]$ /bin/sh listmodem.sh
> =                  RESULT OF MODEM QUERY                    =
>
> MODEM #1:
>   PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
>      Vendor Id         : 127A
>      Device Id         : 4311

According to the install README (*.tar.gz) the above hardware is
supported - with the RIPTIDE driver.

<snip>

> DEVICE 127A:4311 IS A RIPTIDE HSF MODEM
>
> NOTE: You should also install the RIPTIDE driver in addition to this one
> Please see http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/riptide

Have you *done* that?

> Your HSF modem should now be accessible as /dev/ttySHSF0
> or through the symbolic link /dev/modem.

Is it?

> [root at localhost bjdesa]# ls -l /dev/ttySHSF0
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     240,  64 Oct 26 22:19 /dev/ttySHSF0
>
> root at localhost bjdesa]# /sbin/modprobe hsfserial
> Warning: loading
> /usr/lib/hsf/modules/binaries/i686/RedHat/linux-2.4.18-14/hsfosspec.o
> will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Copyright (C) 1996-2001
> Conexant Systems Inc. All Rights Reserved.  See
> http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted
> modules
> Module hsfosspec loaded, with warnings
> Warning: loading
> /usr/lib/hsf/modules/binaries/i686/RedHat/linux-2.4.18-14/hsfengine.o
> will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Copyright (C) 1996-2001
> Conexant Systems Inc. All Rights Reserved.Module hsfengine loaded, with
> warnings
> Module hsfserial loaded, with warnings

This is all normal. The point is, things get loaded.

> [root at localhost bjdesa]# dmesg

<snip>

> Linux version 2.4.18-14 (bhcompile at stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc
> version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)) #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50
> EDT 2002

What comes afteris nice, but immaterial.

Try the RIPTIDE addition on the web site?

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

Could have been Henrik Ibsen's, Ole Bull's,
Henrik Wergelands's, Camilla Collet's and more's
last words, but weren't: «Fanden helder, helder
det at have sadset, end det at ikke have sadset
i det hele taget.»

e-post:		tonni at billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl