[hsflinux] PPPD Died on Error code 15

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

søn, 2002-11-10 kl. 05:07 skrev Chris Hodgetts:

> This was posted to my local LUG, to no avail, but I was wondering if it had
> anything to do with the drivers I am using for the modem.

This is standard Unix networking stuff. It has nothing to do with the HSF modem driver.

> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> 172.16.192.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
> vmnet1
> 172.16.102.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
> vmnet8
> 192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
> default         ziggy           0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

The above shows ziggy as default gateway on eth0, i.e. you are connected
to an Ethernet network over interface eth0. Where you get the names
from, I don't know, I would expect IP numbers. Maybe you get these
gateways and netmasks (Genmask) from a dhcp server, maybe you have
routed running and routers on your network use RIP or another routing
protocol. Maybe you get the IP number to name mapping from /etc/hosts,
maybe from DNS. You also have routes to other networks, but they are not
default - they go via ziggy, anyway. Again, how you obtain these, I
can't say. Maybe (Red Hat) you have them in /etc/sysconfig/network
and/or /etc/syconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. You're obviously on
a large-ish Ethernet network, why don't you ask the network sysadmins?
Or are you that person (in which case, why are you asking all this,
since you know the answers anyway)?

> once I have conencted to the internet, there is another route added, and
> that
> is   the dynamic ip in the destination feild, a * in the gateway
> 255.255.255.255 in the genmask, UH I think in the flags and 0 in metric and
> 0
> in ref and ppp0 in Use Iface.

I'd expect ppp0 to be in use only when you have an active dialup
connection, but it could be pppOE (ppp over Ethernet) for an ADSL
connection, you don't say how you connect to the Internet here.

> however if I have no network net access and want to use the modem, I as root
> have to , route add default ppp0   before I can get access to the internet
> through the modem..   do you know if there is a way around having to do
> this,
> In kppp there is an option to add the connection to the default routing
> tables, but as a normal user I am unable to do that process....

No. You'd have to do all network commands that affect the kernel as
root, unless you have sudo (man sudo, sudoers, visudo) rights as a user
- that's normal. Before you start up the modem, when you're off the
Ethernet network, you'd be better off as root, or via sudo, to do
'ifdown eth0' before you start anything. That will wipe out the Ethernet
routings, if you have them. As far as kppp goes, to start this up I have
to do it as root, with which I don't have any problem, personally. Then
I can configure kppp with whatever details my ISP has given me as far as
IP numbers, netmask, gateway etc., go.

Hope this helps. There are so many ways in Unix of obtaining the configs
you've given (manually, dhcp, RIP or other routing protocols etc) that
it's not possible to give hard and fast rules without knowing more
details.

Best,

Tony

--