[hsflinux] where do I run hsfconfig-how do I launch driver

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

ons, 2003-02-12 kl. 04:20 skrev Tracy Maier:

> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I installed
> the rpm hsflinmodem- driver for my specific modem (or
> at
> least I think I did), and when I tried to run
> "hsfconfig", the terminal mode doesn't recognize the
> command. Where specifically do I run this command?
> Also, assuming everything is installed correctly,
> should I be able to set up PPP to connect to the
> internet or do I need to launch the driver from
> somewhere specific?

It's not a stupid question if you don't know Unix that well.

If it's anywhere, it's in /usr/sbin, which is where all system-specific
stuff is supposed to be on Unix SVR4/5 wannabees (Red Hat, Mandrake,
SuSE, Caldera, Polished etc, not Slackware, don't know about Debian or
the others).

It belongs to root and should be in your search path if you have su'ed
to root. Without having done that, you won't be able to install the
driver.

There are 3 commands under Linux for finding files if you don't know
where they are: which filename, whence filename and find filename. find
is especially useful, since you can do a great deal of maintenance with
it, especially piping it to other commands (man find), but it takes
longer than the other 2 to find things.

Join a local Linux Users' Group!

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

"Can anyone define 'modern enclitic
mediocrity' in terms of the Euro for me?"
- Billy the (Norwegian-Dutch) Cat, Feb '03

e-post:		tonni at billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl