[hsflinux] AC97 Modem in a Sony Vaio PCG-FR700

George Fong george at hunterpage.com
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

Oh, I think I'm in trouble.

I have coverted this wonderful machine into a Linux box using RH9 and a
KDE Desktop. I have solved nearly everything, but have been unable to
resolve the non-recognition of the modem.
I have installed the latest generic HSFlinmodem drivers and they appear
to have installed perfectly. However, the modem s not recognised by KPPP
and I cannot use it as a network device as it returns an error message
saying that ppp0 suffered an Error 7.

lspci -v returns some info of which there is an ominous line that says:

I/O ports at 1c00 [disabled] [size=256]

During installation, I get the following at the end:

e-compiling HSF modules for kernel 2.4.20-9_ajg4, using source directory
/lib/modules/2.4.20-9_ajg4/build. Please wait..
Re-compilation and installation of HSF modules succeeded.
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20-9_ajg4/kernel/drivers/char/bat_gericom.o
depmod:         apm_battery_hook_Rd8e8130c
depmod:         apm_battery_hook_sem_R0a67dd77
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20-9_ajg4/misc/hsfosspec.o
depmod:         del_timer_sync
depmod:         kernel_flag_cacheline
depmod:         __global_cli
depmod:         tqueue_lock
depmod:         __global_save_flags
depmod:         __global_restore_flags
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20-9_ajg4/misc/hsfserial.o
depmod:         __global_cli
depmod:         __global_save_flags
depmod:         __global_restore_flags

Your HSF modem should now be accessible as /dev/ttySHSF0
or through the symbolic link /dev/modem.

It may say that but it doesn't want to go!

Could anyone cast some light on this? Sorry, I suspect my newbie status
will be a factor.

Cheers
G.

--