[hsflinux] modem hangs up in few minutes

Dana Lacoste dana.lacoste at peregrine.com
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

After months and months and months and months
of dealing with a similair problem, I added
this to my startup scripts :

--
file /etc/init.d/rest.modem.priority.sh
--

/bin/echo "Increasing priority of HSF modem handler"
MODEM_PID=`ps -wwaux|grep cnxthsf_mdmthrd \
           |grep -v grep |sed 's/root *//'| \
           sed 's/ .*//'`

if [ -z "${MODEM_PID}" ] ; then
   /bin/echo "WARNING : Could not find modem handler thread"
else
if [ -n "${MODEM_PID}" ] ; then
   /bin/echo "Resetting modem handler priority level"
   /usr/bin/renice -10 ${MODEM_PID} > /dev/null 2>&1
fi
--

Basically, the modem driver creats a kernel thread that
shows up in the process table with the name "[cnxthsf_mdmthrd]"

Now it never crashes (whereas before it would run fine until
I put a significant amount of data on the line, when it would
die in about 2 minutes)

I had no idea you could adjust the priority of kernel threads,
but doing this has made the modem unkillable for me, so I'm
very very very very happy with it :)

(You'd have to copy the text I gave into a file, make the script
executable, then run the script sometime after the modem driver
loaded.  Seeing as I don't use RedHat, I can't help you do that :)

Dana "modem bought in November, modem working in May" Lacoste
Ottawa, Canada