[hsflinux] slow connection with hsfmodem

sauer olaf-peter.sauer at gmx.de
Mon Mar 8 13:40:58 EST 2004

Hi Linuxants,

in a short thread (Conexant softk56 modem slow connection) last december you
answered:

> the free driver is limited to 14.4 kbps. The full version supports v.90 and
> v.92 with some modems.

> The connection speed varies depending on the phone line quality. In the
> United-States and Canada, because of FCC regulations, speed is limited to
> 53.3 kbps (on a perfect phone line).

but, for me, you didn't meet the point.

In my case I had good values (average 5KB/s, top 13KB/s) with the "old"
driver (hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700) and since I switched to
"hsfmodem" (either 03091200free, 03112100free, 03122800full or
040119free) there are only poor rates below 1KB/s.

This result doesn't depend on the kernel version (2.4.x or 2.6.x) nor
on patches.

Please tell me a configuration which yields in good transfer rates with
the new driver. I run a debian woody box on a system with a VIA AC97
controller.

Cheers,

--
O.-P. Sauer

PS  Are there code differences between the versions "free" and "full"?
    Would you see a chance to solve the speed problem with a "full"
	licence?