[hsflinux] ppp0 error

Roger Martz martzrl at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 11 14:49:59 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm new to using Linux with modems.  I've just installed the driver for
my modem from linuxant.  I've run into a couple of things that I don't
understand and haven't run across a posted answer with my limited
searching.

I use kppp to fire-up my modem and connect to my ISP.  When I do this I
receive a message: "Can't activate network device ppp0.  Failed to
activate ppp0 with error 6"

I'm running Redhat Linux 9.  When I go through the Network Device Control
and the Network Configuration windows, I do have a ppp0 device defined.
However, I can't connect to my ISP using this window.  I click the
activate button and the system dials, and I hear the tone, but a
connection is never made.  It continues to cycle through this process
until I terminate it.

Can someone enlighten me as to what is going on and how I can correct it?

Thanks.

Roger

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different