[hsflinux] modprobe eating memory with hsfmodem and 2.6.5

mjreed at essex.ac.uk mjreed at essex.ac.uk
Mon May 17 11:20:37 EDT 2004

I have a problem with a registered (full speed) version of

linux 2.6.5 (gentoo dev sources)
alsa Intel ac97 audio subsystem

I have been using this fine under 2.4 series with the alsa drivers but
every time I try under 2.6 I get a lock up when starting X, I guess
this is down to the problem mentioned under the FAQ (point 13 and ac97

The problem actually seems to be that modprobe is running and eating
all of the memory (including swap after some time) until the whole
system locks up. It only does this when starting up X.

Is there a fix for this other than removing Alsa driver modules ?(I
have not tried this yet as this would be a bit of a pain for me...)

Dr. M.J. Reed                               Room:          4SB.6.15
Dept. Electronic Systems Engineering         Tel:+44 (0)1206 872479
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK  FAX:+44 (0)1206 872900
Email mjreed (non Essex users should add @essex.ac.uk)
Web: http://esewww.essex.ac.uk/~mjreed