[hsflinux] modprobe eating memory with hsfmodem and 2.6.5

mjreed at essex.ac.uk mjreed at essex.ac.uk
Tue May 18 18:23:00 EDT 2004

hi

Thanks to support for some help
support at linuxant.com wrote:
 >similar problems in the past were caused by buggy versions of the
 >'modules-init-tools' package. Please try to upgrade or downgrade your
 >'modules-init-tools' package and try again.
I tried an upgrade but this did not help; but it made me look into my modules
settings a bit more deeply.

It seems that when hsfmodem kernel modules are loaded on a gentoo
distro (or some depmod type program runs) it generates the following
that gets included in /etc/modules.conf automatically at boot

/etc/modules.d/hsf contains:
alias /dev/ttySHSF[0-9]* /dev/ttySHSF
alias /dev/modem /dev/ttySHSF
alias char-major-240 /dev/ttySHSF
alias /dev/cuaHSF[0-9]* /dev/ttySHSF
alias char-major-241 /dev/ttySHSF
options hsfserial serialmajor=240 calloutmajor=241
alias char-major-242 hsfosspec
alias /dev/hsfdiag hsfosspec
alias /dev/hsfdiag* /dev/hsfdiag
alias char-major-243 /dev/hsfdiag
options hsfosspec dcpmajor=242 diagmajor=243
probeall /dev/ttySHSF hsfpcibasic2 hsfmc97ich hsfmc97via hsfmc97ali
probeall hsfserial hsfpcibasic2 hsfmc97ich hsfmc97via hsfmc97ali

If I delete this, reboot and install the modules using:
hsfconfig -s
all is fine.

However, I find that the file /etc/modules.d/hsf gets created for me
every time I start hsfmodem modules - does anyone know how or how to
stop it?

For the time being I have inserted this manual entry that gets put
into /etc/modules.conf (again autmagically by gentoo)
preinstall /dev/ttySHSF '/usr/sbin/hsfstop; /usr/sbin/hsfconfig -s'

This manually inserts the modules using hsfconfig before modprobe gets
a look in a screws up my whole machine (see included first post below
for problem fixed)

Martin
--
Dr. M.J. Reed                               Room:          4SB.6.15
Dept. Electronic Systems Engineering         Tel:+44 (0)1206 872479