[hsflinux] modprobe of hsf modules brings system to its knees

Jakob Schiotz js-list at schiotz.dk
Thu Aug 19 12:55:01 EDT 2004

On Thursday 19 August 2004 09:34, Josh Green wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 07:12, Linuxant support (Jonathan) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we are aware of issues with newer 'module-init-tools' packages and the
> > modem drivers and we are currently investigating on this problem. In the
> > meantime, please try to downgrade your 'module-init-tools' package to
> > one of these versions :
> >
> > ---
> > 3.0pre9
> > 3.0pre10
> > ---
>
> Tried both of those versions, with the same problem. Right now I just
> have to try and remember to remove the modules after I shut down the
> computer and then re-run hsfconfig to rebuild them next time I want to
> connect, but this is far from ideal (I'm assuming hsfconfig is inserting
> these modules in a way that doesn't cause this to happen, would it be
> possible to do the same order of module insert at boot time?). There are
> some other versions of module-init-tools that are easily available for
> gentoo as well that I could try (0.9.15_pre4 and 3.0_pre5). 3.0 was the
> original version I was using.

I missed the start of this thread, so I do not know if the problem is the same
as the one I was seeing: loading the modules into the kernel (either by the
hotplugging daemon or manually) caused the modprobe module to use all
available ressources.

The solution is to remove two lines from the modules.conf file, or, in the
case of Linux'es where said file is generated from files in a modules.d
directory then from hsf.* in this directory (you will then have to regenerate
modules.conf).

The lines to be removed are the two lines starting with probeall.  The
negative side effect is that accessing the modem device no longer causes the
modules to be loaded, so you have to ensure that it happens at boot time.  On
my Gentoo Linux laptop the PCI hotplugging daemon does this automatically.

I am at work, so I cannot check the specific file and directory names, so some
of them may be slightly wrong.  In particular, I am in doubt about
modules.conf, there is also a modprobe.conf, and I may mix them up.  Just
grep for probeall in all files under /etc and subdirectories, and remove any
such line relating to the hsf modules.

Also, please note that hsfconfig will reinsert the offending lines into the
files, so you have to remove them manually any time you have used hsfconfig.

Good luck!

/Jakob