[hsflinux] hsfmodem-6.03.00lnxt04072900full and kernel 2.6.8.1

Chris Vine chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 21:25:35 EDT 2004

I am using the latest full version of the HSF modem driver
(hsfmodem-6.03.00lnxt04072900full).

This works fine with stock kernel 2.6.7.  Although it compiles successfully
with stock kernel 2.6.8.1, responds correctly to "AT" commands and connects
to my ISP at my normal speed (around 50Kbits/s), when downloading anything of
any significant size, after an initial burst of downloading at normal speed
it then only receives bytes in short bursts.  Average download speeds fall
from around the normal 4.9KB/s to below 1KB/s.

As I have mentioned, the modem driver works fine with kernel 2.6.7 (to which I
have now reverted) and also with the 2.4 series.

lspci reports my modem as "Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp Modem (rev
01)".

Chris.