[hsflinux] Conexant modem in Debian Sarge

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan at beginthread.com
Tue Aug 24 22:20:21 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to install my Conexant chipset modem in Debian Sarge, using
kernel 2.6.6-1-686.  I have had successfully installed it on RedHat 9 with
kernel 2.4.24 before, but I've migrated to Debian since then.

To install it, I have downloaded the latest .deb package
(hsfmodem_6.03.00lnxt04072900full_i386.deb) from the LinuxAnt web site, and
ran "dpkg -i hsf*.deb".  It prompts me that there's no prebuilt binary
suitable for my kernel, and it needs to build a custom one.  After the
compilation, it says: Error, module not loaded, and aborts.  I did a bit of
manual investigation, and it seems that the installation is copying files
correctly.  The .ko kernel modules are being copied in
/lib/modules/2.6.6-1-686/misc, but a "lsmod | grep -i hsf" finds nothing.  I
tried to load all of the modules using modprobe by the following command
line:

 for mod in `ls /lib/modules/2.6.6-1-686/misc | awk -F. '{print $1}'`
 do
  modprobe $mod
 done

And I get no error message.  Then, "lsmod | grep -i hsf" does show the
modules loaded into the kernel, and /dev/ttySHSF0 is available and
/dev/modem is a symlink to it, and everything seems like fine, but when I
run kppp to dial a number, or to query the modem, all I get is a message
stating "Unable to open modem."  dmesg shows nothing relevant -- only some
messages which state that the modules are loaded.

I tried to install the driver on kernel 2.4.26-1-686, and it works fine.

What can I do to get the modem to work on my system?  Please help me!

Thanks,
Ehsan Akhgari