[hsflinux] Conexant modem in Debian Sarge

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan at beginthread.com
Thu Aug 26 00:24:44 EDT 2004

> Hi,

Hi Jonathan,

> the new version of the HSF driver with support for the
> '/etc/modprobe.d'
> mecanism is already out.

Hmm, I have downloaded the 'hsfmodem-6.03.00lnxt04082400full' version last
week.  I just checked your web site, and still this is the latest version.
Is support for /etc/modprobe.d mechanism available in this version?

> Please try to remove the following line in your '/etc/modprobe.d/hsf'
> file :
>
> ---
> install hsfserial /sbin/modprobe hsfpcibasic2; /sbin/modprobe
> hsfmc97ich; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97via; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97ali;
> /sbin/modprobe hsfusbcd2; /bin/true
> ---
>
> Then, please try again to insert the modules into the kernel with the
> 'modprobe /dev/ttySHSF' command in a root shell.
>
> Please let us know if it fixed the problem or not.

I did this, and modprobe did its job fine.  Now, /dev/ttySHSF0 exists, and
/dev/modem points to it.  hsfconfig --info also shows the following:

Config for modem unit 0: /dev/ttySHSF0
	Device instance: 0-PCI-14f1:2f00-14f1:2004
	HW revision    : Basic2 2.18 Standard DAA 3VoltsIA
	HW profile name: hsfpcibasic2hsfi
	Registration ID: 212A-EEBB-9944
	License owner  : [owner omitted]
	License key    : [key omitted]
	License status : OK
	Current region : USA (T.35 code: 00B5)

But still kppp shows the "can't open modem" error.  What can be wrong?

Thanks!
Ehsan Akhgari