[hsflinux] Strange interaction with hsf drivers and ALSA PCM

Josh Green jgreen at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 31 16:26:50 EDT 2004

Since upgrading to the latest Linuxant drivers I've been noticing some
strange interaction between the modem and my sound card output.

The first issue is if I start connecting to the Internet and then press
play on XMMS while the modem is connecting, XMMS will be blocked until
the modem is done connecting, at which point the song will start to
play. I'm using the OSS emulation interface to ALSA with XMMS. I usually
experience this type of behavior when trying to open the PCM output of
my sound card with multiple applications, but I wouldn't expect the HSF
drivers to also use this PCM interface.

The second problem I experience is that sometimes between songs in XMMS
I will get a blast of modem on the PCM output if I'm currently
connected.

Another thing I've noticed (though not really that big of a deal) is
that when first connecting I hear voices on the line. I was guessing
that perhaps this is some radio reception on the phone line prior to the
current loop being created (maybe the speaker is being enabled too
early?)

Anyways, just thought I'd post those issues. Cheers.
	Josh Green

P.S. here are some details of my system:

Gentoo (Base System version 1.4.16)
Linux Kernel 2.6.7-gentoo-r11
ALSA 1.0.5a
GCC 3.3.3-r6

0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 015f
        I/O ports at b800
        I/O ports at bc40 [size=64]
        Memory at f4fff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
        Memory at f4fff400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)
AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
        Subsystem: Conexant: Unknown device 5422
        I/O ports at b400
        I/O ports at b080 [size=128]