[hsflinux] khsfd/modem no stopped

Henrik Nilsson nhn at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Fri Aug 12 12:21:06 EDT 2005

Hi,

Michel Kerszberg wrote:

 >Hi,
 >
 > Since installing a new kernel on my IBM T42 and installing
 > hsfmodem-7.18.00.03full_k2.6.11.4_20a-default-1suse.i586
 > I cannot use suspend to disk or to RAM, which worked before.
 > Obviously, a task cannot be stopped, namely I get the message
 > "strange, khsfd/modem not stopped".
 >
 >What to do?

Jonathan replied:

 > suspend to disk or RAM was working fine with which version of the HSF
 > driver and kernel version?

And suggested the following workaround:

 > For your current installation, you can try this workaround. Before you
 > suspend the system, shut down the modem connection and then run the
 > 'hsfstop' command in a root shell. The 'hsfstop' command will remove
 > the HSF modules from the kernel and it will probably fix the suspend
 > problem.

I'm running Fedora Core 4 on a Dell Latitude D600. My kernel is
2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 configured as shipped
(configs/kernel-2.6.12-i686.config), except that the touchpad/stick
driver has been modified a tiny little bit to make the touchpad/stick
work when the machine is restarted after a suspend (to RAM).

I'm seeing exactly the same problem as Michael.

I discovered that I could work around the problem by either
manually removing all HSF kernel modules (using "rmmod"), or
by issuing the command "hsfconfig --rcstop". This must be
pretty much the same as the workaround above suggested by Jonathan,
and I can thus confirm that the workaround should work.

While not a huge problem (e.g. one can automate by configuring the ACPI
daemon "acpid" to do the work on a sleep event), I wondered if the
problem has been further investigated and if a proper fix might be
forthcoming.

Incidentally, I'm having a somewhat similar problem with DriverLoader,
used to load a driver for my TrueMobile 1300 wireless ethernet card.
In this case, five processes refuse to stop:

     kdldrd/normwork
     kdldrd/critwork
     kdldrd/hyperwork
     kdldrd/dpc
     kdldrd/wrk

However, that problem goes away completely as soon as I've issued
the command "dldrconf --rcstop" once. I.e. after this, I can enable
the network and resume and suspend as often as I like without any
further action. But once I reboot, I again am unable to suspend
until I've issued the commend "dldrconf --rcstop" once.

I'm also seeing what appears to be some other side effects of
the driver loader installation. I'm going to send a separate mail
to the driver loader list with all the details.

Best,

/Henrik

--
Henrik Nilsson
School of Computer Science and Information Technology
nhn at cs.nott.ac.uk