[hsflinux] Kernel crashes with Dell Latitude 510 & Fedora 4

Federico Fontana federico.fontana at univr.it
Mon Nov 28 17:42:40 EST 2005

I am really at a lost with my modem installation under Fedora 4 core
Linux on a Dell Latitude 510 laptop.

I installed hsfmodem drivers both for the 2.6.11 kernel,

and 2.6.13 kernel

Both of them crash the kernel: at the subsequent reboot, kernels go to
panic during the initial loading of "storage network sound" modules
(right after the word "sound" appears).

I tried to exclude all Alsa sound module loading (i.e. removed all .ko
files from the /lib/modules/2.6.[version]_FC4/kernel/sound/core/) during
boot, but still the kernel crash persists.

Any help?

Thanks in advance,

 From scanModem (listmodem.sh gives several error under the usual

Providing detail for device at  00:1e.3
  with vendor-ID:device-ID
Class 0703: 8086:266d   Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW
(ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
  SubSystem 14f1:5423  Conexant: Unknown device 5423

                  -----PCI_IDs-------                    --CompilerVer-
    Feature List:  Primary  Subsystem Distr  KernelVer   kernel default  CPU
 ./scanModem test 8086:266d 14f1:5423 redhat 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4  4.0.1
4.0.1    i686
              From records, 14f1:5423 has soft modem codec CXT
 The Subsystem PCI id identifies a ConeXanT CXTnm codec.
 Support is ONLY available the hsfmodem software from
 Low speed test drivers are free, but full speed drivers have a one time
 Support is NOT available through ALSA or Smartlink modem drivers.

./scanModem: line 928: lsmod: command not found
Extended modem ID: codec=1 LIN1
Modem status     : PRA(GPIO) PRB(res) PRC(ADC1) PRD(DAC1) PRE(ADC2)
 The modem has a Conexant codec: CXT
   BUT  is not yet supported by Linuxant code.

./scanModem: line 3293: lsmod: command not found