[hsflinux] Re: kppp reporting 'unable to open modem'

Guerreiro da Luz g.da.luz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 23:21:32 EST 2005

On 12/12/05, Guerreiro da Luz <g.da.luz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Got Thinkpad R51 machine with Conexant HSF softmodem
> (PCI-8086:24c6-1014:055a).  So I downloaded free version of Linuxant
> HSF modem driver and installed it along with my kernel (stock
> 2.6.14.3, my machine is Slackware 10.2 btw).  Tried driver with
> minicom and it works great, so I'm certainly going to order full
> license.  However, I do have small problem with kppp dialer - it keeps
> reporting 'unable to open modem' when I try dialing.  I do have
> /dev/modem link to /dev/ttySHSF0.  I tried to use wvdial and it works
> fine.  I tried set to modem initialization sequence in kppp to same
> sequence minicom or wvdial are using, but same error still there.
> Weirdest of all, if I launch either minicom or wvdial once and then
> exit and try kppp again, it works perfectly.  So it's not that big
> deal, but still I would like to have it working without this "hack" -
> maybe someone on this list could offer some advice regarding how to
> track what minicom or wvdial are doing that kppp is not or anything
> else to try?
>
> Thanks.

After sending previous message, I realized two previous threads on
this list had also to do with kppp problems on Thinkpads (it would be
really good to have search capability available directly on the Web
for this list) and I found some hints.  I tried to run "hsfconfig
--dumpdiag" before and after launching minicom (ie. before and after
being able to use kppp properly) and here is the difference (what
follows appears only after launching minicom):

< usbcore: deregistering driver hsfusbcd2
< PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:00:1f.6
< PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:00:1f.3
< PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:00:1f.5
< PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.6 to 64
< ttySHSF0 at I/O 0x2400 (irq = 11) is a Conexant HSF softmodem (PCI-8086:24c6-1
014:055a)
< usbcore: registered new driver hsfusbcd2

So I guess what kppp is missing is some kind of executing setserial
equivalent for HSF modem, in order to set IRQ and I/O port; but HSF
modems FAQ states it is not possible to use setserial on
/dev/ttySHSF*.  Any hint?

Thanks.