[hsflinux] hsfmodem doesn't respond on Debian with Linux 2.6.14

Nate Bargmann n0nb at networksplus.net
Mon Dec 12 20:31:07 EST 2005

> please use the 'hsfconfig --info' command in a root shell to make sure
> that the HSF modem driver is correctly installed and configured on your
> system. Then, you should make sure that 'kppp' is configured to use
> either the '/dev/modem' or the '/dev/ttySHSF0' device. Alternatively,
> you could try with another dialing program to see if there is a
> difference.

Here is the output of hsfconfig --info:

hsfconfig --info
Conexant HSF softmodem driver, version 7.18.00.07full

If you need license keys, assistance or more information, please go to:
        http://www.linuxant.com/

When reporting a problem for the first time, please send
us the file generated by "hsfconfig --dumpdiag".

Note: kernel module snd-via82xx-modem overridden by hsfmc97via
Note: kernel module snd-intel8x0m overridden by hsfmc97ich hsfmc97sis
Note: kernel module snd-atiixp-modem overridden by hsfmc97ati

Current parameters: ("hsfconfig --info")

Config for modem unit 0: /dev/ttySHSF0
        Device instance: 0-PCI-8086:24c6-1014:0559
        HW revision    : CXT23
        HW profile name: hsfmc97ich
        Registration ID: 7486-D9DB-E366
        License owner  : n0nb at yahoo.com
        License key    : FREE
        License status : FREE (max 14.4kbps data only)
        Current region : USA (T.35 code: 00B5)

The /dev/modem alias (symlink) points to /dev/ttyS1

To enable full 56K modem and FAX functionality, enter your license information
with "hsfconfig --license".

License owner and key data must EXACTLY match the information respectively
provided to and by Linuxant. Otherwise, license status will remain "FREE"!

I've not yet entered my license key after this install (I tried several
different things).  On an earlier install entering the license key made
no difference.

Essentially the modem acts as though it's asleep as it's apparently
found, but doesn't respond to the AT command.  Almost like the old
incorrect baud setting.

> If you require more assistance, please send to support at linuxant.com the
> output of 'dumpdiag'. Type the following in a root shell:

> ---
> hsfconfig --dumpdiag
> ---

> Just send us the generated file located in /tmp ('hsfdiag.txt').
> It'll help us solve the problem.

I will be sending that info in a seperate email.

Thanks!

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of