[hsflinux] Am I in the correct mailing list?

David J Bush twixt at cstone.net
Sun Nov 19 11:57:06 EST 2006

Greetings. I have a USB Best Data "Smart One" 56K external phone modem.
The largest chip on the board says:

CONEXANT
SMARTV.90+
CX81801-34
E945703.1
0312      MEXICO

A smaller chip says:

CX11253-11P
K19714.2
0310       KOREA

On the PC board it says:

BEST DATA PRODUCTS INC.
WK294VO
0308
56USB92
P/N 10194
COPYRIGHT 2003
               0303

I'm not sure if this modem is HSF or HCF. Maybe it's both?

My current system is Windows 98SE. I plan to get a Linux machine soon.
The Conexant List Modem Tool, which I downloaded from the web page
https://www.linuxant.com/drivers/modemident.php
tells me it can find no modems on my system. Perhaps this is because
the modem is external USB.

Any information about what Linux driver would work for me, and what
steps need to be taken during installation (for example what modules
need to be loaded,) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

David