[hsflinux] HSF as a fax answers the phone but doesn't beep

Harvey Coward harvey at mortgage-advice-centre.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 13:48:44 EDT 2007

Hi Jonathan

In message <46251912.6050406 at linuxant.com>, "Linuxant support
(Jonathan)" <support at linuxant.com> writes
>Hi,
>
>can you please elaborate on the fact that the driver would not keep the
>country setting? For example, when exactly the country setting is
>discarded? After reloading the kernel modules, after a reboot, etc...
>The expected way to set the country is with the 'hsfconfig --country'
>command in a root shell.

I would set it in a shell root to UK (from US), it seemed to keep the
setting (using hsconfig --info).

Then I would reboot and if I went into hsfcong --info again it would be
show as US again

I have since reinstalled the driver. First time around I was unable to
use the website RPM build and installed from source. This time I had
additional dependencies added and installed from the website.

That problem now seems to have gone.

>The warning related to hsfdcpd can be safely ignored if you do not have
>a sound card in your system. I doubt that it is the source of the
>problem you have with the driver.

I am ignoring it, and bizarrely it only seems to appears intermittently
now.

>If the phone line was picked up, it is quite possible that it was the
>FAX server doing that so a log file can likely be generated and this
>file could really help us identify the exact source of the problem.
>Please read the documentation provided with your FAX server software
>for more details.

The thing still picks up the phone but doesn't beep, and still opens a
line to dial but doesn't.

I have a problem using efax-gtk and getting a log.

Efax on its own, answering the phone, produces...

What do you reckon?

/usr/bin/efax: Wed Apr 18 12:18:49 2007 efax v 0.9 Copyright 1999 Ed Casas
efax: 18:49 compiled Jul 12 2006 04:08:48
efax: 18:49 argv[0]=/usr/bin/efax
efax: 18:49 argv[1]=-v
efax: 18:49 argv[2]=ewin
efax: 18:49 argv[3]=-v
efax: 18:49 argv[4]=chewmainrxtf
efax: 18:49 argv[5]=-d/dev/modem
efax: 18:49 argv[6]=-x
efax: 18:49 argv[7]=/var/lock/LCK..modem
efax: 18:49 argv[8]=-iZ
efax: 18:49 argv[9]=-i&FE&D2S7=120
efax: 18:49 argv[10]=-i&C0
efax: 18:49 argv[11]=-iM1L0
efax: 18:49 argv[12]=-l
efax: 18:49 argv[13]=+0 000 000 0000
efax: 18:49 argv[14]=-kZ
efax: 18:49 argv[15]=-r
efax: 18:49 argv[16]=0418121849
efax: 18:49 created text lock file /var/lock/LCK..modem
efax: 18:49 opened /dev/modem
efax: 18:49 command  "Q0V1"
efax: 18:49 waiting 2.0 s
efax: 18:51 waiting 2.0 s
efax: 18:53 command  "Q0V1"
efax: 18:53 waiting 2.0 s
efax: 18:55 sync: dropping DTR
efax: 18:55 waiting 2.0 s
efax: 18:57 command  "Q0V1"
efax: 18:57 waiting 2.0 s
efax: 18:59 sync: sending escapes
efax: 19:01 waiting 2.0 s
efax: 19:03 command  "Q0V1"
efax: 19:03 waiting 2.0 s
efax: 19:05 Error: sync: modem not responding
efax: 19:05 read HDB pid 2523 [      2523<LF>] from /var/lock/LCK..modem (our pid)
efax: 19:05 removed lock file /var/lock/LCK..modem
efax: 19:05 done, returning 4 (no response from modem)

--
Best regards
Harvey Coward

Email communications are not secure, for this reason Slough Mortgage Centre Ltd
cannot guarantee the security of the email or its contents or that is remains
virus free once sent.

This email message is strictly confidential and intended solely for the person
or organisation to whom it is addressed.  It may contain privileged and
confidential information and if you are not the intended recipient, you must
not copy, distribute or take any action in reference to it.  If you have
received this email in error, please notify us as soon as possible and delete
the message from your system.

Slough Mortgage Centre is a trading name of Slough Mortgage Centre Ltd,
Registered Office "Willsgrove", 10 The Chimes, Dean Close, High Wycombe, HP12
3HR. Registered in England, number 04460564. Consumer Credit Licence 570377.

Slough Mortgage Centre Ltd is an appointed representative of The Mortgage
Partnership (MK) Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial
Services Authority.