[hsflinux] Fedora 7 Volume control...

Lewis Hopfe lmhopfe at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 07:31:12 EDT 2007

A couple of  months back I had written about how the HSF driver had
altered the volume controls on my hp 2315. Prior to intalling the HSF

driver in Fedora 6 there were 2 volume controls in my mixer panel - 1

for the headset and the other for the speakers. Installation of the
HSF
driver left me with one control. However, plugging in the earphone,
which typically turns the speakers off on other systems, did not on
my
hp so sound would play through the earphones as well as the speakers.

Somebody on the board here supplied me with a patch to correct this
and
I was fine.

Last week I installed Fedora 7.  With the new install I guess there
is
some new ALSA code and there is a single volume control in the mixer
panel. However, with this volume control there was proper behavior.
That
is when the headphones are plugged in the speakers turn off and the
volume controller adjusted the levels in the headset.  Yesterday, I
installed the HSF driver for the modem. It installed properly and the

modem works with F7. Unfortunately, it must be using the older ALSA
code
as it behaves much like before with a single controller and sound
coming
out of both the headphones and the speakers.

I suppose I could try to patch again and go with two volume
controllers,
but I was wondering if Linuxant is going to merge the latest ALSA
stuff
in anytime soon? Since the latest ALSA stuff appears to handle my
problem this appears to be the best course of action. However, if
this
isn't going to happen for a while, I might just be better off
patching...

Thanks,

Lewis