[hsflinux] Fedora 7 volume control issues...

Lewis Hopfe lmhopfe at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 11:49:00 EDT 2007

Some months back I reported that I was having problems with my audio
sound control after installing the hsfmodem driver on my HP 2315nr
laptop. To recap here's what's going on. Under Fedora 7 with the
latest
ALSA incarnation, my volume controls work properly. That is there is
one
master control handled both the headphones and the laptop speakers.
When
the headphones are not plugged in the volume controller adjusts the
speaker volume. When the headphones are plugged in the speakers are
muted and the volume controls the headphone volume. This was a step
forward from Fedora 6 where the Alsa control had a slider for each
and
it was necessary to mute the speakers so that sound did not play out
of
the speakers and the headset at the same time.

I was quite happy to see that linuxant offered a driver to allow the
modem to work with Linux. I purchased the license and installed the
driver, but the included Alsa with the modem driver doesn't seem to
work
quite right. With both Fedora 6 or 7 the Alsa included with the
hsfmodem
provides one volume control which does indeed control the system
volume
but does not seem to know that the headphones are plugged in and mute

the speakers. A user sent me a patch that I had some luck with under
FC
6 which added the second control back to the mixer panel for the
headphones, but I haven't been able to get that solution to work in
my
current configuration.

In the coming weeks I'll need to use the modem much more for work. I
was
hoping to resolve this issue as I do use the headphones quite a bit
play music as well. To date I've been reduced to installing the
hsfmodem
driver when I know I have modem needs, but removing it when I'm not
using the modem so that the speakers/headphones behave properly.
Clearly, this is a bad solution, but my efforts to solve this on my
own(I've burned up google!) have been useless.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Lewis