[hsflinux] HSF modem driver corrupts system

Tom throw_away_2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 00:47:48 EDT 2009

--- On Mon, 3/9/09, Linuxant support (Jonathan) <support at linuxant.com> wrote:

> in order to be able to fix this problem, we will need to
> reproduce it on our development systems. What kernel
> configuration file did you use for the 2.6.27 kernel?

I used the one I have developed for the specific system
hardware, BUT I also had CONFIG_PREEMPT=y (which I had
enabled from reading the kernel configuration help files).
A friend of mine (who knows quite a bit more about this
than I do) told me that was a bad idea, and that I should
change to CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y. That did indeed fix
the problem.

If you want the .config file for further testing, I would
be happy to send it to you.

> Otherwise, installing a license might fix the problem. I
> can't determine if you have a license installed or not
> given the modifications you have done to the dump you have
> sent to support at linuxant.com.

I just have the FREE (limited to 14.4K) version. I try to
avoid using modems these days (even 56K for any period of
time seems painfully slow), but sometimes, I just have no
other choice.

Thank you for your help.

Tom