[hsflinux] HDA modem ComCtrlOpen failed (2049), hsfconfig doesn't see modem

Justin J. Snelgrove jj at stormlord.ca
Tue Jun 29 22:57:44 EDT 2010

On 2010-06-29 20:16, Linuxant Support (Jonathan) wrote:
> you should try with alsa-driver-linuxant or the patch both available at:
>
> http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-driver/
>
> to see if there's a difference. We can also see a sound device attached
> to the HDA bus of your system, does it work correctly?

Sorry, I seem to have forgotten to mention that I'm already using the
patched alsa-driver package. I'm running alsa-driver-1.0.23, including
the 1.0.23-1 Conexant patch from that URL. I've enabled the hda-intel
module and little else (just the hrtimer, hpet, and rtctimer modules).
All the codec modules are built, and the appropriate ones are loaded at
boot. Sound input/output works just fine.

The sound device attached to the HDA bus -- are you referring to the
"Ibex Peak High Definition Audio" device listed in lspci? If yes, then
that audio device works in every way I've tested it, including the
internal speakers, internal microphone, 3.5mm headphone jack, and the
dock-connected speakers. I haven't tested the "HDMI" codec/output (I
think that's actually the DisplayPort on the docking station), or the
3.5mm microphone jack, but have no reason to doubt them. It should also
be the device the modem is attached to.

If that's not the device you're referring to, I'm afraid you'll have to
clarify. I'm not aware of any other HDA device in this laptop.

If someone has a kernel config for 2.6.34 (or 2.6.32 at a minimum --
anything lower lacks the drivers/filesystem options I need to even boot
properly) that is known to work with an hda-intel-based hsfmodem, that
may help to eliminate my kernel config as a variable -- though I haven't
received any warnings from alsa-driver or hsfmodem about missing or
incorrect config options (not since it asked me to turn on serial
support when initially installing, which I happily did for it).

Possibly relevant -- I also occasionally get a string of warnings (~15)
saying:

> cnxthsf_780020x86_64full_DcpDestroy: units still active, waiting..

These *seem* harmless, though, and only occur when (re)loading the
modules after boot (but *not* always, even then). They're immediately
followed by the two errors I first noted, starting with the ComCtrlOpen
failed error.

Are there any more details you can give about the "ComCtrlOpen failed
(2049)" error that may help me narrow down possibilities on my end? Or
are there any debug options which could yield more useful information?

--
Justin J. Snelgrove
jj at stormlord.ca